Monday, May 23, 2011

The MUST EATS in NYC..

As I have said before this is the food mecca.  This review will appeal to every taste bud and its for every price range.  If I had a dollar for every time I said "this is the best" I would surly be a millionaire.  I have eaten my way through this city and when you come visit these are my recommendations.  Although it may seem bias to the east side of Manhattan its only because this is where I lived and within it found that best eats.  I have 2 rules when eating out, keep it reasonably healthy and keep it affordable.

Falafel at Tiam- The falafel will blow your mind.  The best in the city as you will see a Halal truck on every corner.  Don't be fooled this falafel will change your world.  I'm drooling just thinking of it. 

Brick Lane Curry House:  Indian food hasn't always been my go to, until now.  The flavors are something I crave and lets be honest some food is just boring, not Indian.  Its complex, multi-layered and the Indian cuisine here will take your taste buds on a wild adventure. 

Supper:  I have a hard time with Italian as I have been ruined by Olive Garden and feel I can always make it better.  Until Supper I was convinced that Italian was heavy and makes you feel like there's a rock in your belly.   Supper is the perfect combination of perfect portions and fresh pasta.  I take everyone who comes to town to Supper or their sister restaurant Little Frankies. 

Terminal Thai: I love me some pad thai, it has layer of favor combination that flirt with your taste buds.  Between their drunken noodles and spring rolls I always have such a hard time deciding what to get as I am rarely disappointed. 

Greek Salad at Atlas Cafe:  Ok so this place is more of a coffee shop then a restaurant but their Greek salad makes me order it at least once a week.  Its a heavily mix of perfect crisp greens and a light vinaigrette with the juiciest tomatoes.  Served with warm bread, this is not your typical boring salad.  Plus they have great coffee, all around a winner to me.

Desert Trucks Bread Pudding:  Yikes I wish this place wasn't a block away.  Its a daily occurrence that I I try to convince myself that I don't need to go there, but yet I still find myself standing in the doorway puppy-eyed and drooling.  Its the most delectable desert creations.  Also featured on Bobby Flay's Throwdown and won, come on people its that good.

Pho sandwich from Sunny and Annie's Deli:  I have ordered this a few too many times after 1 am but damn its good.  Its spicy, zesty and loaded with flavor in each bite.  Its hard to put down and although I usually order the 2011 but always find myself stealing bites from Greg's Pho sandwich. 

Pho at Pho 32:  This place is open 24 hours bless their hearts.  Its a great combination of thai basil, a sweet broth and crunchy sprouts.  My mother fell in love with this dish which isn't hard to do.  My comfort food is a big bowl of soup and this is nothing shy of just that.

Veggie Burger at Kate's Joint:  Wont taste like a veggie burger to you because it doesn't to me.  Although I'm not a disciplined vegetarian I do prefer veggies over carcass.  This burger comes California style, thick cut pickle, ripe tomatoes and crisp lettuce.  Side of Kate's special sauce and you got yourself a pretty convincing burger.  

Breakfast at Clinton Street Baking Company:  This breakfast is so good it will wake your ass up before noon.  If you can get in to this small place its well worth the wait.  My only wish is that they buy the space next to it to make more room.  It's small but the Egg's Benedict will make you order it every time and I hear their blueberry pancakes are pretty kick ass.

Fish tacos at Essex Market/Grocery Store:  If you blinked you would miss this little stand.  There's 2 people working the counter so don't expect fast service but what you will get is food made with love.  The fish taco's are under 5.00 bucks and for the money you get a hefty portion of homemade love in a tortilla. 

Pizza at L'asso:  Pizza isn't something I crave but allow me to tell you that when this pizza comes out I have a hard time holding back and eating just 2 slices.  I am a member of the clean plate club when I'm here, I eat more pizza then I care to inform you on and lets just say that you will have a food moment here.  All time will stop and you will get snapped back to reality once you feel your waistband explode.  Wear your big girl pants when dining here as you won't be able to stop at just one slice. 

Smoothie at Pause Cafe:  Its a build your own smoothie bar.  Mango's, strawberries and blueberries oh my all the combinations are making me want to run down there right now and order one.  Ok so there's nothing exciting or innovative about a smoothie you say but allow me to tell you that on a hot day there's nothing more refreshing.

Bisous Ciao Macaroons:  My sister nearly had a desert meltdown when her lips locked passionately to these perfectly prepared gems.  With disbelief and crumbs on her face she realized then that she likes no loves macaroons.  "No I can't believe this," she said.  Words of a wise woman go and you will be convinced too.

Momofuku Milk Bar: Chocolate Cookies.  My boyfriend Greg who doesn't eat sweets ate 3 big cookies, need I say more?

Il Laboratorio Del Gelato:  I clench the gelato cup for I have fear of dropping this delicious delectable desert.  By far the best gelato I have ever had!

Lucky's Burger:  Read my Yelp review, for someone who rarely eats red meat it received 4 out of 5 stars.  Get the cheeseburger, YUM!

Dumplings at Prosperity Dumplings:  These homemade dumplings are right across the street from us.  They are not only cheap, I'm talking 8 dumplings for 2.00 cheap but they are fast.  Perfect street food although messy.

Calexico Food Truck:  Get the folded quesadilla served with their crack sauce (chipotle sour cream) it will surly become your go to street food.  Stroll through Soho, quesadilla is hand and you got yourself a perfect little afternoon.

Donut at Donut Planet:  So don't go here on a weekend morning, it will be as if you were waiting in line for a U2 concert.  I don't eat many donuts but let me tell ya I ate one and could have easily eaten another one.  Its as if Grandma is back there making a fresh batch of sugary goodness by the minute.  Plus the smell of this place is truly intoxicating.

Rice to Riches:  This place may sound odd but it's interesting how many rice pudding flavors they have created.  You walk in and there's at least 25 different varieties of rice pudding plus you can add toppings.  This was one of my mom's favorite.

Baohaus Sandwich:  Again I love me some street food.  These are Vietnamese soft bun sandwiches with braised meat, heavy cilantro and chopped peanuts.  You can't get this tiny buddle of flavor just anywhere.  If you want to awake your taste-buds come here.

Hampton Chutney Co:  These next 2 reviews I cant take credit for because I haven't eaten there but Greg has.  I believe Greg had some life changing moments here 

Bowery Poetry Clubs Roast Beef sandwich:  For 2 blocks while scarfing down this sandwich all I heard was pure satisfaction from Greg of course, that should sum it up.

Eataly:  Fresh pasta, rare meats, imported cheeses, the finest espresso, perfected deserts and wine.  Its like Italy moved to NYC.  In fact the first Eataly is in Italy and then there's one here!

Chelsea Market:  The Food Network is located upstairs to this market so I think they know a thing or 2 about food.  I could spend hours here and once you go you will see why.

Zucco Le French Diner:  This place has under 5 tables but try to belly-up at the bar.  The food and the owner are nothing shy of witty charm.  They even have a sign that says no ketchup, no budlight and no reservations which makes me love this place even more. 

So of course I'm missing many amazing restaurants, this hardly scratches the surface but what I can tell you is that in 5 months of being here we did some damage.  Although we still cooked at home we also enjoyed the many incredible restaurants Manhattan has to offer.  The variety is endless and to me a great meal shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg. 


Damn I'm going to miss the food here..

No comments:

Post a Comment