Thursday, March 31, 2011

Its Been 10 Years..

I remember seeing a hole missing within the many miles of skyscrapers (which is odd for Manhattan).  A noticeable missing space.  I remember feeling heavy and before I knew it I was there and for once I didn't need my map to tell me where I was.  I looked to my right and there it was and my body was pulled to it.  I became saddened and quiet which is a miracle all in itself.   9/11 became real and not a mess of horrible images splashed on the tube.  I stood there 10 years later and finally felt the gravity of the situation.

The memorial opens this fall and I didn't intent to stumble upon it, I just happened to and in doing so I knew where I was.  An untouched dusty church sits right along side the grave and buildings as tall as the eye can see surrounding this "place" (for lack of a better word).  I can't really think of a word to describe it since it unleashes a weird unsettled feeling beyond what I've felt.   There were also a lot of bodies that were never recovered and I feel compelled to say grave but I don't care for that either.  It's also massive, bigger then your T.V lead you to believe.

It's something we all shared in, didn't we?  I'm sad that we hear less about the war and even less about this missing spot in Manhattan.  It's like a big pink elephant that everyone ignores because time has won the fight on terrorism.  If you could see it, its something that will make what you saw on TV real.  If you could feel the weight of this sight it would make all of your problems seem like insignificant specs of dusk.  It's undeniable, it's perfectly symbolic of the damage we can do to ourselves without getting political.

Its been ten years and I would like to say that we all shared in this moment, a moment that may still affect you today.  We all know someone fighting in the war, we all have our own story about what happened that day.  Can you give one of your thoughts to those that lost their life that day and those that fight in the war still today? its been 10 years and we are still in it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment