Thursday, January 13, 2011

Under 500 Square Feet.

Space [ spayss ]   
  1. interval of time: a period or interval of time
  2. enough room: room to fit or accommodate something or somebody
  3. area set apart: an area set apart or available for use
I have never really devoted much thought to this concept until I crammed my life into a car and then tried to unload it into 500 square feet.  I most certainly brought too many clothes and enough picture frames to start my own museum.  

The truth is that I love my space and my concept of space has never really been tested.  I have always had enough, I have never really wanted more.  Everything had a place in my perfect organized mess.  Perhaps spoiled by space, however we never grew up in a castle and we always shared rooms and didn't kill eachother.  Living in Manhattan everything is small.  Resturants are small, coffee shops are small.  The cafe I sit in now only has 6 tables.  Possibly by allowing less space it allows us to feel more together then appart.  It shrinks how massive this island is or this world in general.  Its intimate and forces you to acknowledge the person you brush up against, come in contact with or share a moment with.  Lets get real, you can't possibly think you don't make even a small impression on those around you however big or small.   

I do have one important question for you.  If you packed your life into a car what would you bring?  What could you spare to loss? What do you keep with you just because?  And honestly when was the last time you wore that shirt? I ask this because it not only allows me to question how much space I lack but it also allows me to question value.  The truth is that there was a lot I could stand parting with however I did use every inch of that car.  You never know how much junk you have until you have to pack it into boxes or into a car.  If you were wondering I took all the clothes I had and all the pictures I could find of the faces I would miss the most, oh yes and all my cooking supplies.    

This 500 square feet is also being shared between 3 people.  Sometimes I close the door to the bathroom and sit on the toilet just to have a moment to myself.  Every night I take bathes like Im 3 years old so I can lock the door.  Im also thinking about putting a chair in the closet.  How the hell do parents do it? Before I had just enough and now Im adjusting to the beauty of Manhattan.  Like all things you adapt and when I look at those 2 faces I share space with I realize I wouldn't have it any other way.  I would much rather share it then be alone.  I just use space better and I appreciate my time alone MUCH more.  

Think about those you share space with, think about the value you put on things that can be bought.  Get your car out and see if your life would fit into it, I dare you.  Maybe this will force you to stop hoarding, clear some space and throw that ugly Hawaiian shirt away.  

No comments:

Post a Comment